Welcome. :)

Welcome to my blog. Here I share my successes and failures along my journey to becoming an anthropologist. My most prominent interest anthropologically are the new approaches to handing food security/healthy eating in the US, particularly in urban "food deserts". I enjoy the Anthropology of Tourism as well; combining food and tourism has scholarly promise. My other interests which have converted into anthropological hobbies of sorts include converts to Islam, diaspora of Muslims, and MENA in general. I also have some interest in historical archaeology.

I welcome comments, discussion and even respectful debating. I will however keep discussions to a respectable level. I reserve the right to ban anyone from this forum.

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Identity crisis?

Humans have so many ways to identify one another. Some of the labels are positive, some are quite negative. We put Homo sapiens in different boxes like race, religion and economic class. Some communities around the world are labeled as egalitarian (not us!). Those communities tend to have very little, if any status labels. I think those communities are interesting.

As a rule, we are labeled by our race, are we rich or poor?, educated or not?, etc.


Personally, I tend to be confused and have frequent identity crisis'. What I mean by that is I can related to both the East and the West. I have characteristics that mesh very well with the Muslim world. For example, I don't eat pork and have not for several years. I believe in the structure of a family/marriage (although "the family" can be left up to interpretation). I like wine and could be a wine connoisseur if I had the money. That does not mesh well with Islam. :)

In addition, I dress quite modestly for a Westerner, but think I would be able to be myself in hijab. I believe that a man can find eyes a turn on or hands. I dont wear shorts or a traditional bathing suit. My time in the middle east has affected me in alot of ways.
With regards to hijab, (I mean covering of the hair), I do not think I could do that long term. I would find that constricting. I do however respect the use of hijab for whomever who wants to wear it!! I want to make that clear.

I am also very independent and would have a very difficult time living in KSA for the long haul. I could do it for up to 2 years.

All that said, I feel somewhat out of place with all Westerners and feel out of place somewhat with a group all from the Mid East. Does any other Western women feel this way? I feel like the oddball! :)

anthrogeek10

No comments: