Welcome. :)

Welcome to my blog. Here I share my successes and failures along my journey to becoming an anthropologist. My most prominent interest anthropologically are the new approaches to handing food security/healthy eating in the US, particularly in urban "food deserts". I enjoy the Anthropology of Tourism as well; combining food and tourism has scholarly promise. My other interests which have converted into anthropological hobbies of sorts include converts to Islam, diaspora of Muslims, and MENA in general. I also have some interest in historical archaeology.

I welcome comments, discussion and even respectful debating. I will however keep discussions to a respectable level. I reserve the right to ban anyone from this forum.

Thursday, January 8, 2009

Classes update

Today, I finally, after mucho anticipation, I must say, my last two classes were held. All I can say is WOW!
Islam and it's Empires
The Modern Middle East.

Same professor, similar formats and lots of work. :) Now, the professor is from Turkey and he is appears quite detached from the students and at the same time, he is VERY ENGAGED! Is that possible? I think so. Maybe he does not want to get too personal, which is fine. I am paying him to teach after all. lol

His style of teaching is to engage us, challenge us and make us hate reading as a pleasureable activity. Kidding about the later one. :) I do however, have high hopes for both classes. He warned us if we do not want to speak in front of a group, be engaged, debate, and THINK, the class is not for us. Well, I want all those things and thus, I am sticking around.

Time to read now....for real!
salaams!
anthrogeek10

No comments: