Welcome. :)

Welcome to my blog. Here I share my successes and failures along my journey to becoming an anthropologist. My most prominent interest anthropologically are the new approaches to handing food security/healthy eating in the US, particularly in urban "food deserts". I enjoy the Anthropology of Tourism as well; combining food and tourism has scholarly promise. My other interests which have converted into anthropological hobbies of sorts include converts to Islam, diaspora of Muslims, and MENA in general. I also have some interest in historical archaeology.

I welcome comments, discussion and even respectful debating. I will however keep discussions to a respectable level. I reserve the right to ban anyone from this forum.

Thursday, December 25, 2008

My faith

Alot of people ask me about my faith-or lack thereof. Basically, because I am a future anthroplogist, they assume that I am an atheist. I am no such thing.
I grew up a Catholic and questioned my faith from the time I was 16. I "became" a lutheran (thats blasphemous I guess...). That said, I felt more at home with Catholicism but in my heart, but I knew certain things could not logically be (wine and bread "turning into" body and blood of Jesus). I thought that would be cannabalistic. The first time I really felt 100% at home with religion was when I decided not to have a religion. I have lived in the Middle East and have been to Pakistan (quite conservative!) and more Muslim countries so my knowledge of Islam is fair, in my own opinion. I love Islam, I love the people (have a serious close connection to Pakistani's in particular) but I do not wish to "make the leap".
I am a big believer in the monotheistic God concept but do not find Judaism or Christianity to be my calling. I have a Christian husband who loves everyone and is not too conservative but really has a strong faith. I would not be sure how he would respond to me announcing I am Muslim (if I do).


Maybe my thoughts and feelings are just my way of finding a connection to the region of the world I am facinated with from an anthropological perspective....
anthrogeek10

No comments: