Welcome. :)

Welcome to my blog. Here I share my successes and failures along my journey to becoming an anthropologist. My most prominent interest anthropologically are the new approaches to handing food security/healthy eating in the US, particularly in urban "food deserts". I enjoy the Anthropology of Tourism as well; combining food and tourism has scholarly promise. My other interests which have converted into anthropological hobbies of sorts include converts to Islam, diaspora of Muslims, and MENA in general. I also have some interest in historical archaeology.

I welcome comments, discussion and even respectful debating. I will however keep discussions to a respectable level. I reserve the right to ban anyone from this forum.

Thursday, June 25, 2009

The National Enquirer

If I can tell The National Enquirer ONE THING it would be STOP RUINING OTHER PEOPLES LIVES FOR MONEY!! Its true that celebs have been defamed by this trashy "magazine" but the one I am about to describe to you is the last straw for me personally. I am all in favor of free speech bullshit but there needs to be boundaries. Ok, here is what I am talking about...

I was in line at Publix. I was buying dinner items (shrimp, ect) and I glanced at the NE magazine and on the cover, Obama is there and the caption reads something like this (not exact): Obama in Secret Meetings with Muslims: conspiring with the enemy!

How the hell does that advance understanding and peace??? How?? It doesn't. Obviously. I am so angry....sigh.....

If I was a hijabi wearing woman, I would be scared for my life.
anthrogeek10

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know ... I saw one hijabi on a documentary, she lives in the Chicago area - she says there's not a day that goes by without her getting harassed somehow. She said she doesn't even like going out by herself alone.

Anthrogeek10 said...

In Chicago, i was driving home from a mosque after speaking with the imam for financial assistance (long story) and I had on the hijab of couse (was in a mosque) and some guys threw coke cans at me when I was driving. How immature. That also was Chicago.